SterileCare Inc. (“SCI”) recognizes the importance of personal privacy and is committed to safeguarding your personal information. We have adopted the following Ten Privacy Principles based on the federal government’s privacy legislation, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The Principles outline our organization’s practices with respect to the collection, use, disclosure and protection of non-public personal information and provides information on how we deal with consent as well as how to contact us with privacy-related questions.
What is “Personal Information”?: Personal Information is information that identifies you as an individual. It includes information such as your name, address, telephone number, birthday, social insurance number, e-mail address, financial and health information, employment and individual tastes and preferences. Publicly available information such as a public directory listing of your name, address, telephone number, electronic address, is not considered to be personal information.
1. Accountability : We are responsible for Personal Information under our control. We have designated a SCI person who is responsible for our company’s compliance with this Policy and applicable legislation.
2. Identifying purposes: The purposes, for which Personal Information is collected, will be identified by us, or through our, or your authorized representatives before or at the time the information is collected or used. In general we collect, use or disclose your Personal Information, if necessary, for the following purposes:
to establish and maintain commercial relations with you or your representatives and to provide you with ongoing service;
to understand your needs and suitability for products, concepts and services;
to recommend alternative products, concepts and services to meet your needs;
to develop, enhance, market or support products, services and information provided to you;
to work with your representatives in customizing services or solutions for you;
to meet legal and regulatory requirements.
Your Personal Information will not be used for other purposes without your consent.
3. Consent: Your consent is required for the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information, except where inappropriate and subject to certain exceptions. Such exceptions are set out in the law and include where legal, medical or security reasons make it impossible or impractical to seek consent. Your consent may be expressed in writing. This act of consent can be given verbally, electronically, or through our, or your authorized representatives. For example, you may be asked to fill out forms, profiles and applications or may be requested verbally to do so.
In certain circumstances, consent may also be implied. This means that your consent can be reasonably inferred from action or inaction on your part. For example, if you provide Personal Information over the telephone to our or your authorized representatives, it can reasonably be assumed that you are consenting to the use of your Personal Information for the purposes for which it is being collected and provided.
Withdrawal of Consent: You can withdraw your consent at any time after you have given it to us or your authorized representatives, provided that there are no legal requirements disallowing this. If you do not consent to the collection, uses or disclosure of certain information, or if you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you with particular products or services. If so, we will explain the situation to you to help you make your decision.
4. Limiting collection: The collection of your Personal Information must be by fair and lawful means, and be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified. We strive to limit the amount and type of information collected to only the Personal Information that is required to accomplish the identified purposes. In addition, we only retain records as long as required by provincial and federal legislation or our corporate records retention policy. When no longer needed, they are either destroyed or anonymized.
5. Limiting use, disclosure and retention: Your Personal Information may only be used or disclosed for the purposes for which it was collected, other purposes you consent to, or as required or permitted by law. It may only be kept for as long as is necessary to satisfy the purposes for which it was collected, or as required or permitted by law. In order to provide you with products, concepts or services we may share your non-public Personal Information under the following circumstances:
SCI works as an organization to provide products and services that benefit our customers. We may share your non-public Personal Information within the company and with other SCI-related or affiliated companies;
SCI may also share your non-public Personal Information with third party individuals or companies outside of SCI only as permitted by law. Some examples of third parties to whom we may disclose the information include:
1. with partner companies, client technical advisors and other professionals who work with us to provide you with products and training, or to provide services that you have requested;
2. with companies that assist us with internal marketing analysis, and to improve our products, services and website;
3. when permitted or required by law.
SCI does not share your Personal Information or sell or release your information to any third party for their marketing use other than as noted above. If we disclose any type of non-public Personal Information to companies that assist us in our internal marketing efforts or to improve our services and products, this will occur with companies or service providers under contractual obligations to protect the confidentiality of your information.
6. Accuracy: SCI strives to ensure that any Personal Information that is collected, used or disclosed is as accurate, complete and as up-to-date as is necessary for the purpose for which it is to be used. You may challenge the accuracy and completeness of the Personal Information handled by SCI and have such information amended. For this purpose, please contact SCI.
7. Safeguards: Personal Information shall be protected from unwarranted intrusion, release or misuse by security safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. SCI employs security technologies and practices to protect the privacy of Personal Information which may be submitted via our website, but internet technology poses certain limitations on effectiveness (see Principle #11, below). Personal Information provided to us in writing or other than through the website is protected through physical, electronic and procedural safeguards.
9. Individual access: Upon written request, SCI will inform you of what Personal Information we have about you, what it is being used for and to whom it has been disclosed. You will be given access to it, subject to certain exceptions, as permitted by law. You may also verify the accuracy and completeness of your information, and request that it be amended, if appropriate.
10. Inquiries and concerns: SCI is committed to treating you with respect and consideration and providing a high level of service. If circumstances occur where you feel we have not dealt with you correctly or handled your Personal Information in accordance with this Policy and applicable law, we encourage you to contact SCI to resolve the issue. Resolving concerns to your satisfaction is our primary concern. SCI can be contacted as specified below.
13. Contact SCI: Any questions or concerns about SCI’s handling of your Personal Information should be directed to SCI. SCI may be reached at 905-235-5801 (tel), by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail at the following address:
15 Allstate Parkway, Suite 600
Markham, ON L3X 0C3
If you still have unresolved concerns with respect to the treatment of your Personal Information and the way in which SCI has responded, you may contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada by calling 1-800-282-1376 or writing to:
The Privacy Commissioner of Canada
112 Kent Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 1H3
Fax: (613) 947-6850